There has been a great deal of change within this industry, as technological advancements in all fields are seen. Many forms of communication and social media is also being included in this field, in addition to cinema and literature.
If you are a talented thrill seeker, then the broadcasting, media and journalism industry may hold many exciting opportunities for you. Interested candidates can have a look at the wide variety of career options and criteria listed below. If you are interested in these and meet all requirements, then you can seek out a career in this industry, and join the world of broadcasting.
This may be a difficult industry to enter, but it opens a whole new world, filled with adventure and experiences untold. If you are a passionate person with a love of culture, people, travel, current events and more, then you are in the right place.
Many of the internships within this field are for a year or more. Most companies do not include meals, travel or accommodation, but they do give their interns a monthly stipend.
Journalism Internships Available
Candidates wishing to pursue journalism as a career option may have a look at internships within one of the following fields, or any other field available in the media industry:
- News Room Operator
- Public Affairs
- Feature Writing
- Investigative Reporting
- News Reporting
- Editing Specialist
- Business Reporting
- TV Journalism
- Proof Reader
- Copy Editor
- Research Analyst
- Communications Specialist
- Technology Radio Production
- Technology Camera Operations
- Technology Lighting Operations
Companies that offer Journalism Internships, or other in this field include the following:
Journalism Internships Requirements
The requirements of each company are different, depending on the field within journalism one looks at. Most internships are for candidates under the age of 30, who have just completed or are completing their studies.
There are however many similar requirements, and these could include the following:
- Candidates must be a South African citizen
- Candidates must have a valid ID document
- Candidates must have successfully completed their Matric, as well as a degree within their field
- Candidates must be computer literate
- Candidates must not already have completed an internship with another company
- Candidates must be proficient in English (Speak, Write & Read)
Candidates with the following attributes will be preferred;
- Candidates must work well independently, as well as part of a team
- Candidates must be passionate about their career path
- Candidates must be creative thinkers
- Candidates must be flexible, and willing to travel if required
- Candidates must be eager to learn
- Candidates must be able to use own initiative
Candidates with disabilities are urged to apply. There is, however, no guarantee of permanent employment after completion of internship, this will be done at the company’s own discretion. Candidates may be asked to do an aptitude test or any other required tests for their field of employment.
Candidates must hold a degree within one or more of the following fields:
Media and Communications
- Public Relations
- Graphic Design
- Information Management
- Digital Media
- Film & Media Studies
- Audio-visual Communications
- Corporate Communications
Information Technology & Communication
- Technical Applications
- Intelligent Industrial Systems
- Computer Science
- Business Applications
- Software Development
- Web & Applications
- Communication Networks
- Information & Knowledge Systems
- Information Science
These are only some of the fields that candidates must hold a degree in, there are also multiple others that are considered.
Journalism Internships Application
Journalism internships online application processes are made available by a variety of companies yearly. There are some that prefer candidates collect forms from their offices and other that work via e-mail. Candidates will be able to gather more information regarding this process, on the web pages of the company they intend on applying to or call their offices to find out.
Candidates are reminded to ensure applications are completed in full, and all required documentation attached before sending in their applications. All documentation must be certified copies, please do not attach your originals. It is also highly recommended to add a cover letter, along with a Curriculum Vitae.
Documentation to include via certified copies may include:
- All academic records
- ID document
- All Certificates of qualifications