Summer internships are ideal for those who want to gain some hands-on knowledge in their field while still studying. These internships are usually for shorter periods during summer vacation time. Fields included in these programs are quite diverse and can range from law, finance, sales, marketing to managing and more.
Some of the programs offered to talented learners include an allowance but not all do. Most of these programs on offer are for the experience. These can also count for learners once they graduate as they can ask for recommendation or referral letters from each company they intern at. Find a summer internship program in your field with the companies listed here and start building your resume and experience. With these programs, you will be ready to enter the workforce once you qualify or graduate.
Summer Internship Programs Available
Career fields for summer internships program include a huge selection of fields. We have made a list of some of these fields available to talented candidates.
Fields for summer internships:
- PR Public Relations
- Human Resources
- Supply Chain
- Computer Systems
Companies who offer Summer Internships Program
- Procter and Gamble
- Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr
- Fasken Martineau
- African Leadership Academy
- Werksman Attorneys
- Standard Bank
- Tears Animal Rescue
Summer Internships Program Requirements
Each company that is offering a summer internships program will have some requirements that must be met for you to be eligible to apply. These will vary slightly with each company but there are a couple of similar requirements as set-out below.
Summer internship program basics:
- Applicants must be in possession of a valid ID document
- All candidates must have a Grade 12 certificate
- You must be fluent in the English language
- Applicants must either hold a qualification in the field of application or be studying towards one
- You must be eager to learn and hard working
- You must be reliable and confident in your abilities
- Applicants must have great communication skills
- You may be required to have solid computer knowledge depending on your field
- You must be detail orientated
- Applicants must be able to handle pressure
- You must be comfortable to work in a diverse team and individually
These internships can run for any duration, however, most are for 8, 10 or 12-weeks. These are ideal for gaining some hands-on knowledge while studying or just after qualifying in your field. All applications must be submitted on time with all relevant documentation to be considered. Applicants who have a disability is welcomed to apply but must submit a medical certificate stating the disability as well.
Some of these summer internship programs also provide accommodation along with the stipend. Nonetheless, most companies do not provide transport. Some are only offered to candidates in their final year of study but it all depends on the company. More details on summer internship programs can be found on the company’s websites.